AMHERST, Mass. - After falling in the first three singles matches, the UMass tennis team rallied back to win three straight in a 4-3 defeat of UConn on Wednesday afternoon at the Mullins Center Tennis Courts. Jessica Podlofsky was credited with the overall match winner with her straight set win at No. 5 singles.
The Huskies (1-1) won the first three singles matches led by Srna Stosljevic at No. 1 singles, Maxene Weinberg at No. 3 singles and Lucy Nutting at No. 4 singles to go up 3-1 over UMass.
Freshman Aarzoo Malik snapped the run with a straight set win at No. 2 singles followed by a win from Glasper in three sets at No. 6 singles.
With the match tied at 3-3, Podlofsky defeated UConn’s Shea Flanagan 7-5 in the opening set and 6-2 in the second set to seal the win for the Minutewomen. The win marked the 63rd of her career which moved her into 3rd all-time at UMass in singles wins. She is now tied with Jackie Braunstein (1995-99) and needs four more wins to surpass Michele Spiess (2004-07) who is the all-time leader with 67 wins.
UMass will return to action at the ITA Northeast Regional which run from Thursday, Oct. 17 to Sunday, Oct. 20 in Boston.
1. Stosljevic-Weinberg (UConn) def. Motyl-Malik (UM) 8-3
2. Bokhari-Griffin (UM) def. Alderman-Nutting (UConn) 8-3
3. Glasper-Podlofsky (UM) def. Learmonth-Flanagan (UConn) 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Stosljevic (UConn) def. Bokhari (UM) 6-1 6-1
2. Malik (UM) def. Alderman (UConn) 6-3 6-4
3. Weinberg (UConn) def. Griffin (UM) 6-3 6-3
4. Nutting (UConn) def. Woosley (UM) 6-2 6-4
5. Podlofsky (UM) def. Flanagan (UConn) 7-5 6-2
6. Glasper (UM) def. Learmonth (UConn) 6-3 2-6 6-0